Thursday 13 January 2011

Amy Chua's article on Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

If you haven't read the article already, here's the link

Whether you are for or against what she is writing about- I love how she doesn't mince her words, doesn't hold back so that in the end you definitely have an opinion about her depiction of chinese parenting.

"Chinese parents believe that their kids owe them everything. The reason for this is a little unclear, but it's probably a combination of Confucian filial piety and the fact that the parents have sacrificed and done so much for their children."

I think for most children brought up under this 'regime'- the reason is totally clear: Do people who think that they owe nothing to their parents know how much tuition fees cost?? Your parents could have bought another car, gone on a holiday or put a down payment on another house- but they didn't.

Thankfully my mother never fully suscribed to this Chinese parenting method.They did on the surface (primary school hours were 7.30 am - 4.00 p.m. with extra tuition classes from 4.00-6.00 p.m. and homework after that) but I think in reality when they signed me up for Chinese primary school they had zero expectations and were just relieved that I managed to do ok.Now that I look back, I wished they had pushed me just a little harder so that I can now effortlessly play the violin well instead of struggling a million times before finally getting it right.
But most of all I am grateful that my parents made it fun for me (despite not being able to go for sleepovers till I was much older) I was allowed to be in school performances, go shopping after school and they were pretty cool about me not doing my homework. Just as long as I did ok in school. 

Chanel News update: (did i mention that i LOVE Karl Lagerfeld? the guy is a genius!!!)

During an interview with Karl Lagerfeld and Vanessa Paradis:

You have known each other for almost twenty years but when you speak to each other in French you both still use the more formal 'vous' form of address. Why is that?

KARL: I can't stand familiarity, especially with those I like. It's a sign of indifference

Here's a video of the Paris Byzance collection. I love the mood, the details, the wearability  the casual nonchalance and most of all- the irony and genius psychedelic-ness of Pink Floyd! The more I learn about Chanel the more I love their work .

and some pictures i got off googleimages. Couldn't get a picture of their coats but you should definitely look out for those at the start of the video. If i had the moolah I would put my name down for one of those. Any chance of good 'inspired' looks coming out in high-street stores? Some of the McQueen military look inspired stuff came out a bit costume looking..








No comments:

Post a Comment